Ladies Philoptochos Society #72
During the Fourth Archdiocesan Clergy-Laity Congress in November of 1931, the Archbishop of North and south America, His Eminence Athenagoras, created the Ladies Philopthochos Society. The future Ecumenical Patriarch proclaimed the Ladies Philoptochos Society to be the official philanthropic organization of the Greek Orthodox Church. Today it is one of the largest philanthropic organizations in the United States, with more than 400 chapters.
As their name explains, the Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society’s mission is to “help the poor, the destitute, the hungry the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, those with disabilities and the victims of disasters”. Another important function of th Philoptochos Society is to promote and preserve the sacredness of the Orthodox family as well as the faith and traditions of the Greek Orthodox Church.
The New Britain chapter of Philoptochos was organized in 1941, and 10 years after Archbishop Athenagoras issued his clarion call. St.George Greek Orthodox Church of New Britain would not have attained its level of success, if it were not for its strong right arm, the Ladies Philoptochos Society. The Philoptochos Society always assists St. George’s fund-raising activities; they also visit the shut-ins of our community and provide scholarships to worthy students. The Philptochos Siciety’s national commitments include support of Hellenic College/Holy Cross Theological School, St. Basil’s Academy, the rebuilding of St.Nicholas National Shrine, as well as a myriad of other monthly commitments. The moneys for these projects come from a variety of fundraisers, that includes, sponsoring luncheons, fashion shows and the annual Community Christmas Card.
The Ladies Philoptochos Society of St.George will always answer requests for assistance. Donations for its many charitable causes are always welcomed.